The Shocking Facts We never would have never guessed
1. Until 1450, barbers also performed surgery! Aren’t you glad we don’t anymore?
2. Remember the “bump it“? This volume-boosting device was actually invented in the 1700’s and was usually made of wire. Both men and women rocked “bumps” up to three feet tall!
3. Shampoo wasn’t invented until almost 1800– water, powder or wigs were the only methods of hair care until then!
4. The first perms took up to 12 hours. We have come a long way in the last 100 years!
5. The Great Depression was excellent for the beauty industry, with 6 million dollars in service sales during 1936. This is proof positive that feeling beautiful is indispensable!
6. In the 1950’s, the most popular men’s cut was called the D.A., short for “duck’s ass”. We’re glad this trend has passed!
7. The mullet was actually borne out of the 1970’s, though it wasn’t popular then. This is one part of history we wish we could erase.
8. The version of curling iron that we recognize today was patented in 1980 by African American inventor Theora Stephens. This opened up a whole world of possibilities for styling!
9. The concept of the “celebrity hairdresser” wasn’t prominent until the 1990’s, when stylists first started charging $300 and up for haircuts.
10. Hairdressing is currently one of the fastest-growing job markets, with a mind-blowing 16% increase in hairdressers projected by 2020!